Gold Coast (07) 5574 0422
Brisbane (07) 3303 8721
Menu

SAKS Restaurant Food Poisoning Case

Gold Coast City Council was aiming to fine SAKS restaurant $25,000 for food hygiene violations but that figure was reduced to $15,000.

"Lawyer, Michael McMillan, said the owners were just accountants and had no idea about running a restaurant: 'There's a lot more to it than simply counting the beans.'"

Video: SAKS restaurant fined for health violations

Video transcript

Presenter: A magistrate has scolded a Main Beach popular restaurant for putting diners at risk of salmonella poisoning. SAKS has been fined $15,000 after live and dead cockroaches were found in its kitchen.

Dominique Loudon: No one from SAKS was keen to show their face either at the eatery, or Southport Court where the business was raked over the coals for poor hygiene. Gold Coast City Council was aiming for $25,000 after several disturbing inspections.

Dominique Loudon: 15 cockroaches, alive and dead, were found in the kitchen under the pizza oven and pizza preparation unit, near the washing up area and dry storage unit. Another check recorded uncovered salami and meats, dirt and mould on floors and the cold room, a greasy microwave in the bar area, and a strong smell of rotting food.

Dominique Loudon: Lawyer, Michael McMillan, said the owners were just accountants and had no idea about running a restaurant.

Michael McMillan: There’s a lot more to it than simply ‘counting the beans.’

Dominique Loudon: The Magistrate took into account the adverse publicity SAKS has received, adding it will likely have a negative effect on the restaurant for some time to come. On top of the fine, SAKS will also have to pay $1,900 in legal and court costs.

Michael McMillan: The restaurant’s worked hard to bring itself up to scratch.